Bookshops (whether online or on the high street) can be overwhelming so if you’re stuck with which books to choose for your little ones, then take a look at this list. They are by no means my top ten books but they are, without a doubt, the ones that my 4 year old girl and one year old boy love! You’ll probably recognise a few of these classics from your own childhood too.
1. Any Julia Donaldson story – Every one has been a hit so far but the favourites include Monkey Puzzle, The Gruffalo and Stick Man. Fantastic rhythm and rhymes, you can’t go wrong with a Donaldson book.
2. Any nursery rhymes collection – Just timeless.
3. Giraffes Can’t Dance – A humorous tale with a subtle moral – always a winning formula!
4. The Tiger who Came to Tea – I have a confession to make… I find this story a little boring but Erin absolutely adores it, like millions of other kids, so I’m obviously missing something here!
5. Funnybones – Nostalgic for me, hilarious for them.
6. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly – One they will love to hear over and over again and that they’ll soon be joining in with.
7. Five Minutes’ Peace – There’s a whole series of these books which I just love and are the perfect length for bedtime reading.
8. The Day the Crayons Quit – Possibly one to read over a few days but a lovely little tale from the perspective of crayons. A must-read for children of any age!
9. My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes – This story has them in stitches every time as we add in the actions for each character.
Do let me know which books you’d like more activity ideas on and I’ll see what I can do. And check out Chat, Play, Read for top tips on developing Literacy skills with preschoolers.